When a car accident or playground injury leads to a head injury in a child, you may notice differences in the child's behavior or cognitive abilities in addition to seizures, swelling or infection. After you seek medical attention for your child, you should meet with a Texas child accident lawyer to pursue a personal injury claim.
3 Long-Term Effects of Head Injury in Child Accident
The long-term effects of a head injury in a child haven't been studied extensively, but some research shows that a child who experiences a brain injury may develop postconcussive syndrome, which can have the following effects:
- Cognitive problems - The child may experience memory problems, attention problems, and difficulty thinking and concentrating. In young children, these problems may not be noticeable until the child reaches school age.
- Behavioral problems - The child may experience anxiety, irritability, personality changes and depression. When the frontal cortex of the brain is injured, the child may have trouble controlling emotions and behaving appropriately.
- Coping problems - It's a myth that traumatic brain injury won't have long-term effects in a child. Children and families need to accept the fact that recovery will take time. Without acceptance, frustration will cause additional stress.
To recover damages after a playground injury or other accident caused by another party's negligence, you should get the assistance of a Texas child accident lawyer, who can help you prepare a personal injury claim.
Contacting a Texas Child Accident Lawyer
Before you take the important step of hiring an attorney, educate yourself about what you can expect from a Texas injury case. Order this free guide for Texas accident victims and learn:
- What to ask a lawyer before hiring them to take your case.
- The most common reasons a Texas personal injury claim will fail.
- What you can do to protect your injury claim.
Not every accident case requires the help of an attorney and we can help you to determine whether yours is one of those cases! If you are ready to get started with your case, we urge you to contact us today for a FREE case evaluation - 1-512-472-7799.