The daily stress of long commutes to work or school on crowded Texas roads has caused an increase in aggressive driving behavior. In an AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety survey, nine out of ten people felt that aggressive drivers are a somewhat serious or very serious threat to their safety. Data collected by the AAA Foundation also bears out this general feeling on the part of drivers. The AAA Foundation reports that, on average, aggressive driving injures or kills 1,500 men, women and children in the United States every year.
As a San Marcos car accident attorney at the Todd Law Firm, I regularly work with people who have been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident. In some cases, aggressive driving contributed to or even caused these severe accidents. The following are some strategies you can implement to combat aggressive driving behavior and keep yourself safe on Texas roads:
- Get out of the way and give the aggressive driver plenty of room.
- Avoid challenging an aggressive driver by becoming aggressive yourself.
- Avoid eye contact with an aggressive driver.
- Ignore obscene or rude gestures and do not make any of your own.
- Wear a safety belt to provide protection in the event of a San Marcos car accident.
- Call 9-1-1 if you feel threatened by an aggressive driver. Be prepared to provide the make and model of the car, the color, the license plate number, the location and direction of travel, if possible.
You may be tempted to return aggression from other drivers with aggression of your own. However, it is much safer to take a deep breath, relax and give aggressive drivers plenty of space. If you are the target of an aggressive driver and are seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, call me today at 512-472-7799. You may also wish to download a free copy of my book The Seven Deadly Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Texas Accident Case for more information.