Child injuries should be quickly tended to after a dog attack in an effort to preserve tissue and prevent infection. Naturally, you'll be jittery if you witness your child suffering after a dog attack in Texas, but your priority should be to provide first aid until help arrives. You'll also want to speak to a Texas animal attack lawyer to discuss your legal options and examples of criminal negligence.
First Aid After a Dog Attack in Texas Leads to Child Injuries
After the attack, you should take the following steps:
- Minor wounds: If the skin is barely broken and you're 100% certain that the dog doesn't have rabies, use soapy water to cleanse the area. Apply some antibiotic ointment and cover the area with a bandage. Observe for redness, swelling, oozing and pain - all signs of infection. If infection is present, medical attention will be necessary.
- Deep wounds: For puncture wounds and ragged cuts, use a clean cloth to apply pressure, and get medical treatment.
- Rabid dog attacks: Get your child emergency care, especially if you're unsure whether the dog has rabies.
A Texas animal attack lawyer will go over your case and help determine whether negligence was a factor in the dog attack for your child injuries. If so, you may be entitled to recover damages including medical expenses and pain and suffering. If there are examples of criminal negligence in your case, the dog's owner could face jail time or fines.
Contacting an Animal Attack Lawyer in Texas
Before you take the important step of hiring an attorney, educate yourself about what you can expect from a Texas injury case. Order this free guide for Texas accident victims and learn:
- What to ask a lawyer before hiring them to take your case.
- The most common reasons a Texas personal injury claim will fail.
- What you can do to protect your injury claim.
Not every accident case requires the help of an attorney and we can help you to determine whether yours is one of those cases! If you are ready to get started with your case, we urge you to contact us today for a FREE case evaluation - 1-512-472-7799.