The prognosis for infants with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) is sometimes bleak. In severe cases, for example, the mortality rate is 25%-50%. This is very disheartening, especially considering the fact that the condition could be the result of medical negligence. If you've lost a child to HIE or have a baby who's suffering from this condition, speak to an Austin birth injury lawyer at a Texas injury firm to discuss filing a birth defect lawsuit.
Statistics on Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy
Most deaths resulting from HIE occur during the baby's first week of life because as the condition causes brain injury related to a lack of oxygen, multiple organ failure can occur. Systemic infections or aspiration pneumonia are also causes of death.
Consider the following HIE statistics:
- 80% of babies who survive severe HIE have serious complications;
- 10%-20% who survive severe HIE develop moderately severe disabilities;
- 10% who survive severe HIE are healthy;
- 30%-50% who survive moderately severe HIE develop serious long-term complications;
- 10%-20% who survive moderately severe HIE have minor complications; and
- infants with mild HIE fare relatively well.
Because HIE can be the result of your medical team failing to monitor you and your baby properly, speaking to a Texas injury firm should be a priority. An experienced Austin birth injury lawyer will discuss negligence and help you understand your legal options for a birth defect lawsuit.
Contacting an Austin Birth Injury Lawyer
Before you take the important step of hiring an attorney, educate yourself about what you can expect from a Texas injury case. Order this free guide for Texas accident victims and learn:
- What to ask a lawyer before hiring him or her to take your case.
- The most common reasons a Texas personal injury claim can fail.
- What you can do to protect your injury claim.
Not every accident case requires the help of an attorney and we can help you to determine whether yours is one of those cases! If you are ready to get started with your case, we urge you to contact us today for a FREE case evaluation - 1-512-472-7799.