Anything you say at the scene of the accident or afterwards could be used against you. Therefore, you should choose your words carefully, especially when speaking with any insurance adjusters.
What to do After a Car Accident in Texas
Throughout the insurance claims process, you should appropriately communicate with the insurance company. This means you should be honest and you should avoid guessing if you don't know the answer to any questions.
Also do the following when communicating with the insurance company:
- Call your agent as soon as possible. You may want to make this call as soon as you get home or on your way to see a doctor.
- Review your policy. Make sure you understand your coverage and any exclusions. If you are entitled to more coverage than you are aware of, the insurance company probably won't bring this to your attention.
- Take notes after your car crash in Texas. Jot down details of conversations with anyone at the accident scene and with any representatives from the insurance company. Get their names, numbers, email addresses, and job titles.
- Check all of your other insurance policies. You could be covered under an umbrella policy, your homeowner's policy, or coverage linked to a credit card.
- Grab your cell phone and take photos. If you are capable, get pictures of vehicle damage, the accident scene and any visible injuries.
Continue to Next Page >>