Long-Term Effects of Head Injury in a Child after Accident in Texas (Part A)

A head injury in a child should be taken seriously even if your child appears to be OK because the long-term effects could wreak havoc on your child's cognitive and emotional health. If your child has been the victim of a playground injury or any other kind of accident, you should discuss your legal options with a Texas child accident lawyer.

If it can be determined that your child's head injury is a result of negligence, you may be able to recover damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, and compensation for pain and suffering.

Signs and Symptoms Following a Head Injury in a Child

It has been reported that about a half-million children sustain a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) annually. However, the long-term stability of postconcussive syndrome (PCS) hasn't been studied extensively. PCS includes many problems experienced after a TBI, such as:
  • fatigue;
  • headaches;
  • light sensitivity;
  • memory problems;
  • dizziness;
  • irritability and anxiety;
  • attention problems and difficulty concentrating;
  • depression;
  • visual disturbances;
  • noise sensitivity;
  • difficulty sleeping;
  • lack of interest in activities; and
  • personality changes.
In a small study published by pediatric neuropsychologist Keith Yeates at Ohio State University, 186 children who experienced a TBI were followed for 12 months and compared with 99 children who experienced a head injury that didn't affect their brains. The findings in the TBI group were as follows:
  • 64% experienced no PCS symptoms;
  • 12% had moderate symptoms that continued for 12 months;
  • 15% had severe symptoms that resolved in 12 months; and
  • 9% had severe symptoms that continued for 12 months.
A severe head injury can persist and have damaging effects that could change your child physically and emotionally. You and your child don't deserve to face the consequences of the impact a brain injury can have. Contact your Texas child accident lawyer for help with filing a claim.

Continue to Next Page >>