If your divorce decree awards you a vehicle that is in both your name and your spouse’s name, take a certified copy of the decree to your local county tax office and apply for title. Remember to bring proof of insurance and the application fee. 

If your divorce decree does not include the vehicle, you must have a properly assigned title to transfer title. Your ex-spouse may assign title to you by signing the back of the actual title or by signing a power of attorney.

Note that you should not have to pay taxes on a title transfer occurring because of divorce. Check the tax-exempt box on the title application form.