Many of us will be involved in a car accident at some point in our lives. While most people try to drive carefully, there are times when even the safest driver gets distracted and makes a driving error. In addition, there are other drivers on the road who may be distracted, aggressive, or just plain careless. Regardless of the situation, getting in a car accident is upsetting because it can cause emotional, physical, and financial difficulties.
While you cannot always prevent a car accident, you can control how you respond to it. Listed below are 12 steps for handling your Bastrop car crash to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Breathe deeply and try to calm down. You will be in a better position to deal with the aftermath of the crash if you have a cool head.
- Stay at the accident site. There are severe penalties associated with leaving the scene of an accident.
- Be courteous to everyone at the scene, but do not apologize for the accident or admit fault.
- Call 911 to request an ambulance or other medical assistance if anyone at the accident scene is injured.
- Call the police to report the accident. If the police will not work the accident scene, find out how to obtain a police report and get one as soon as possible.
- Move your car to a safe position, away from traffic if possible.
- Cooperate fully with the police investigation, as well as your insurance company. Tell the truth about the facts of the case, but do not admit fault for the accident.
- Obtain contact information from the other driver. You will need name, address, phone number, car make and model, insurance company and policy information, driver’s license number, and license plate number.
- Obtain contact information for anyone who witnessed the crash.
- Take photos of the crash scene—both up close and from a distance so that you can fully document what happened with pictures.
- Make a sketch of the accident scene, and write down everything you can remember about the crash while it is fresh in your mind.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
The twelve steps listed above will help you through the process of documenting the accident and reporting it to the police and your insurance company. After the car crash, if you need expert legal help to deal with insurance companies, overwhelming medical bills, lost wages, or expensive vehicle repairs, call Bastrop car accident lawyer David Todd at 512-472-7799 for a free case review. Alternatively, you can download a free copy of his book, Seven Deadly Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Texas Accident Case, for additional information.