If you’re involved in an accident that has one of the following attributes, you may need a personal injury lawyer to negotiate your insurance settlement:
- You, one of your passengers or the other driver was seriously injured in the accident;
- The accident wasn’t your fault, but the other driver is accusing you of causing it;
- Property damage to your vehicle was significant;
- The insurance adjuster won’t meet your demands on a settlement; or
- You’ve been out of work for an extended period of time due to your injuries.
For minor accidents in which nobody is injured and the only damage is to property (and even then, only when that damage is minor), you may not need the services of an attorney to negotiate your insurance settlement. It’s difficult for any attorney to say with certainty whether or not you need legal representation unless he or she knows the facts of your case, so it’s highly advisable that you speak with one about the obstacles your case potentially could face before you decide what to do and how to proceed.
If you’re unsure as to whether or not you need an attorney, the best thing you can do is speak with one. A lawyer will meet with you in a one-on-one consultation, evaluate your case and help you better understand the legal requirements of a personal injury claim and settlement.
Contacting a Personal Injury Lawyer
Before you take the important step of hiring a lawyer, educate yourself about what you can expect from a Texas injury case. Order this free guide for Texas accident victims and learn:
- What to ask a lawyer before hiring them to take your case.
- The most common reasons a Texas personal injury claim can fail.
- What you can do to protect your injury claim.